Close

Not a member yet?Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Quick Stats: The 95% Who Don’t Tithe

5 Feb. 2013 Posted by Denis Greene in Quick Stats

In quick stats, Church Development takes a statistic and applies it to the current state of church giving. In today’s blog, we share a breakdown of what percentage of income the U.S. gives.

I’ve often mentioned the common Barna statistic that only 5% of the U.S. tithes. Well, what about the remaining 95%?

  • 30% of the U.S. makes no charitable contributions
  • 50% of the U.S. give more than 0% but less than 2% of their income to charity; and
  • 15% give more than 2% but less than 10% of their income to charity

While these numbers aren’t surprising, these statistics tell us the same thing as the ‘only 5% tithe’ number: There’s still plenty of room to grow.

While it’s tempting to be cynical over the 50% who give more than zero but less than 2%—as really all you have to is give anything once a year—it does show that people were motivated to give by something and that something is what we’re continuing to hone in on.

Usually the majority of people aren’t motivated to give for the right reasons, at least not at first, but the transition from ‘what’s in it for me?’ to ‘who can I bless?’ is a great thing to see.    

* * *

Denis Greene is the Founder and President of Church Development.  He is the author of The Stewardship System, Stewardship-Based Capital Campaigns, and How To Ask For Donations as well as numerous articles on stewardship. Denis has helped over 200 churches across the USA raise more than $200,000,000.

A complete list of Church Development’s services (including capital campaign management and consultation, feasibility studies, and year-round stewardship ministry programming) is available here.